Skip to main content

The Festival of Lights

Written for a writing forum where I'm a member, this is on the celebration of Hanukkah

We light a new candle each night
As it burns brighter than bright
In our small, cramped room
To chase away winter's gloom

This is our temple, our home
Where our children were born
We celebrate each of these 8 days
By recounting our traditions and ways

It isn't about presents or gifts
Spinning a dreidel to sneak a kiss
It's about young and old
Taking pride in what's been told

So look on the flames in our window
Symbolizing that fire within our soul
This is the oil binding us together:
We will always remember

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Journey’s End

  old and new, I’m here waiting for you over the hills and under the sun waiting for you as life has begun waiting for you as long as we’ll be waiting for you as you waited for me again we go together my friend through these woods as deep as our sorrows we’ll travel this way into each day through mountains and glens til tomorrow gilded and golden, sapling in green dusty and dark, light with a spark colors abound throughout our journey filling our hearts at all we’ve seen making us age at every stage we’ve dreamed all of life's majesty in the oceans and ponds and what lies beyond footsteps echoing on the hard ground voices fading out til they have no sound we arrive here where we started before each of us the same yet now we've changed one of us lives and cries and cries the other lies down in this cold ground and closes her eyes dusty and dark, light with a spark we’ll travel this way into each day through mountains and glens til tomorrow

Moonlight Kite

I run with the kite in the field All the stars shining brightly The clear, moon-filled sky's expanse stretches wide String trailing behind me The kite lifts as I tug and pull A sharp jerk, I don't let it go Now, it's soaring high I let out more cord as it sails Above the ground, a sky ship Colorful in day, by night delicate Muted greys swerve and dip Yellow tails flutter from the bow As I slowly release more rope How far can it fly? Morning star on the horizon Near where the sun will be rising Dawn will soon arrive I remove small silver scissors Which glint in the twilight Setting the spool of coil onto the ground I look at the kite Kneeling down on my knees I snip the rope and release "Lord, send my prayers to him please" The kite, now free, rushes away My letter tied up with it sways With all of my hopes Every single word I could say I lay my head down on cool grass To find peace at last

The Playground

I am using the song pattern for one of my favorite songs for this poem's syllable pattern. Best of all, I'm not even going to say what song. Enjoy! On the playground swing, feet in the air She's humming softly, flowing black hair No other children play here today Almost dark as the sky's color fades away It's been a long day, too long, scary No friends besides imaginary To tell her secrets to Why can't she just stay here forever Floating on the wind, doing whatever Without pain, without fear Her head feels heavy Singing with eyes closed, sway back, sway forth She wants to sleep here, but can't of course Where can she go when she can't go home When she's sad and lonely and wholly alone It's been the worst day of her short life Worse than nightmares or screaming each night What more can she do now Who can she turn to without any friend No-one to help her, just lies, pretend All empty in the end She wishes she were a princess She wishes she were a g...